Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potato Casserole

I'm jumping around with my postings, but I decided to post my potato casserole that has become a popular favorite amongst my friends.  I made this potato dish for my women's group yesterday and all the women raved about it.  It's perfect as a breakfast or dinner dish.  You can serve it with eggs, ham, chicken, beef... anything really.  This is my aunt's recipe (one of my FAVORITE dishes growing up), but I've modified it a bit. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 bag frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
8 oz light sour cream
4-8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 small can diced green chiles
Splash of milk (about 1 tbsp)
Generous shake of Ground Cumin (probably about 2 tsp)
Generous shake of Garlic Salt (probably about 1-2 tsp)
2 cups crushed corn flakes
2 tbsp butter, melted

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
2.  Mix all ingredients, except corn flakes and butter, in a large mixing bowl.  Transfer to baking dish and press down so potato mixture is even.
3.  Top with crushed corn flakes (make sure mixture is completely topped).  Pour melted butter over corn flakes, starting with the edges first, then drizzling in the center.
4.  Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.  Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.

Side Notes:
1.  I suggested 4 - 8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, because it depends on how cheesy you like your dishes.  I like to use a little more cheese, but sometimes if I'm low on cheese, I just use what I have.  The dish tastes great either way.  Try using jack cheese, pepperjack cheese, or colby cheese.  All taste great with this dish.
2.  You can use Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup to make this dish healthier.
3.  If you don't have corn flakes, you can substitute bread crumbs.  Top with melted butter.
4.  You could add meat (such as ham, sausage, chicken) to this dish to make it a complete meal.
5.  My aunt always made this as a breakfast side, it went great with her homemade quiche!

I hope this side dish quickly becomes a favorite in your house, as it is in ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment