Monday, November 1, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Bake

Well, once again I'm behind again in my blogging... sorry!  I was going to catch up this weekend, but Dayne and I had a rough weekend.  We were both really sick!  Thankfully Denis took great care of us!!  He even cooked both days and made homemade candy apples (delicious).  I'll blog his candy apple recipe too (it's Alton Brown's recipe), but first I've got to get caught up with my recipes. 

Last Monday I made Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Bake.  This recipe came from my Pillsbury Pot Pies & Casseroles magazine (can you tell I'm making my way through this magazine???).  It turned out really delicious.  It's definitely a do-again!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 can (10 3/4oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 cups milk
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups refrigerated cooked potato wedges (this can be found in the produce section near the bags of shredded carrots and butternut squash)
3 cups cubed deli rotisserie chicken (without skin)
1 bag (1lb) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 can (12oz) Pillsbury Grands! Jr. Golden Layers biscuits
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2oz)

Directions
1.  Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, mix soup, milk and Italian seasoning.  Stir in potatoes, chicken and vegetables.
2.  Separate dough into 10 biscuits, cut each biscuit into quarters; add to potato mixture.  Stir gently to mix well; spoon into baking dish.
3.  Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy inside.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 4 to 6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Side Notes:
1.  I didn't use the pre-cooked potatoes.  It's much cheaper to buy a couple of red potatoes and cook them yourself in the microwave.  This is what I did.  I bought 3 medium sized red potatoes (it's about 2 cups), cut into small wedges.  Placed cut potatoes into a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle with garlic salt.  Add 1tsp of water and cover with a damp paper towel.  Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.  Check potatoes.  Microwave another 2 minutes if they are not soft enough.  Viola... you've got yourself cooked red potatoes!
2.  To save more money, you could use left over chicken you might have from another dish, or cook your own chicken instead of buying a rotisserie chicken.  Just depends on how much time you have.  I used the rotisserie chicken because I had forgotten to thaw out my chicken.
3.  I couldn't find the Jr. Grands (and I've never even heard of them).  So I just used the Grands Layers (which is 8 biscuits) and cut those into 6th's (instead of quarters).  I'm assuming it turned out the same.
4.  If you don't have frozen mixed veggies... use whatever frozen veggies you have; green beans, broccoli, corn, carrots, cauliflower.  Or try using fresh veggies, and saute them up just a bit to soften them.  These recipes are so versatile... get creative and use what you like.
5.  I didn't continue cooking the additional 4 to 6 minutes because my dish was already bubbling after 35 minutes (my oven is possessed and never bakes according to recipes).  I just sprinkled the cheese on after I pulled it out, let it set 5 minutes.  Cheese was melted and ready to serve.
6.  This dish would be perfect for a holiday potluck.  :-)

Hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment