Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gingered Broccoli Chicken

Last Wednesday I made another new dish from my Pillsbury magazine, Gingered Broccoli Chicken served over white rice.  This was better than I thought it was going to be.  I was a bit leery of putting frozen peaches in the dish, but the peaches actually dissolve to make a sweet sauce more than anything else.  I make rice in my rice cooker (white and brown), but you can use any type of rice you like and can make it any way you like (instant, microwaveable, over the stove, rice cooker, etc).

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken pieces, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 1/4 lb)
2 tbsp fresh grated gingerroot
1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
1 bag (16 oz) frozen peaches, thawed
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
3/4 cup water
5 cups frozen broccoli florets (from 22oz bag), thawed
2 tbsp cornstarch

Directions
1. Spray 3 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.  Place chicken in slow cooker; top with gingerroot, onion and peaches.  In small bowl, mix teriyaki sauce and 1/2 cup of the water; pour over chicken mixture.
2.  Cover, cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
3.  Stir broccoli into chicken mixture.  In small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup water and the cornstarch; stir into chicken mixture.  Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until sauce is slightly thickened.
4.  Serve over steamed white rice.

Side Notes:
1.  I have never grated gingerroot before, so I actually looked up how to do so.  Here is what I found: Cut off knobs of gingerroot, using a peeler, peel gingerroot, rinse, pat dry and then grate.  If you have excess gingerroot, peel and rinse remaining gingerroot and seal tight in a freezer safe plastic baggie.  Gingerroot will stay fresh for about 3-4 months.  The website said that frozen gingerroot is actually easier to grate.
2.  I prefer a little extra flavor, so next time I make this dish, I would add minced garlic and an extra tbsp of gingerroot.  The dish was good, but lacked just a tad on the flavor side (for me at least).

If you make this dish, let me know what you think of it and if you added anything extra for flavor.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment