Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie with Flaky Crust

I haven't blogged in a while, it's been such a crazy hectic week.  I did however make several new dishes from my Pillsbury Pot Pies & Casseroles magazine.  Last Monday I made Chicken Pot Pie for the first time.  It turned out really delicious, despite all the trouble I had making it.  Denis thinks the recipe calls for to much thyme leaves, so if you are not a fan of thyme, I would suggest omitting the thyme altogether.  I'll explain my troubles below in the side notes section.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from 17.3oz package), thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup quartered ready-to-eat baby cut carrots (5 to 6 oz)
3/4 cup frozen sweet peas (from 12oz bag)
1 jar (12oz) chicken gravy
1/2 cup light sour cream
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg beaten, if desired

Directions
1.  Heat oven to 375 degrees.  On lightly floured surface, unroll puff pastry.  With rolling pin, roll pastry into 11-inch square.  Cut off corner to make an 11-inch round.  Cut slits or small designs in several places in pastry; set aside.
2.  In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Cook chicken in oil about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center.  Add onion and carrots; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender.  Remove from heat; stir in peas.
3.  In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients, except egg with wire whisk until well blended.  Stir into chicken mixture in skillet.  Spoon into 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate.  Place pastry over filling, allowing pastry to hang over edge.
4.  Bake 20 minutes.  Brush crust with beaten egg.  Cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
5.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Side Notes:
1.  I used Big & Flaky Crescent Rolls instead of the puff pastry.  I couldn't find the Pillsbury brand puff pastry and the Pepperidge Farm brand was over $6.  It worked out fine, it was just harder to roll with the rolling pin and lay across the top of the dish.  It worked out fine as a crust and it was delicious.
2.  I also didn't have a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate (thought I did when I was at the store).  I had a round 8-inch casserole dish.  It worked out fine, however it was hard to lay out the crust and it didn't bake according to the directions. 
3.  My dish only lasted a total of 25 minutes in the oven.  Although I attempted to cover the edges of the crust with foil, the foil didn't stick and the edges cooked to long and were overly brown.  I pulled the dish out and let it set on my warm cook top.  Everything was bubbly and cooked thoroughly inside, so it worked out fine, but I'm guessing if I would have had the proper ingredients and cookware, it would have take the entire 45 minutes to cook.
4.  The dish actually turned out really tasty, but Denis didn't like the thyme in it.  I didn't mind it.  So, if you are sensitive to thyme, I would suggest omitting it altogether, or finding another herb you would prefer to use.
5.  I served the chicken pot pie with homemade mashed potatoes and salad.  It was the perfect additions to this all American classic.

If you try it, let me know how your dish turns out!  Hopefully you have more success the first time around than I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment