Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Navy Bean Soup

We've finally approached full-fledged soup season.  The recent weather is definitely an inspiration to make soups, stews, chili... anything warm and cozy.  My friend gave me her ham bone so I could make homemade Navy Bean Soup (with the contingency that I invite her over for soup).  Which is exactly what I did last night.  I made the soup and invited her and her hubby over.  The soup was a huge hit... and the best part is that it is super healthy. 

I was just going to follow the recipe on the back of the dried navy bean bag, but it didn't sound like it was going to have enough flavor... so I just created my own recipe. 

Please note:  When cooking with dried beans, remember to allow overnight soaking of the beans.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
2 1lb bags of small navy beans
1 ham bone with ham on it (the more ham the better)
32 oz (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
12 cups warm water
1 lb carrots, chopped very finely
6 celery stalks, chopped into small pieces
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp season salt (Lawry's)
regular salt & pepper to taste
2 bay leaves

Directions
1.  In a large pot, soak beans in 12-14 cups of cold water over night (at least 8 hours).
2.  Drain and sort through soaked beans.
3.  In a large stockpot add beans, ham bone with ham, chicken broth, water, onions, garlic, celery and carrots and bay leaves.  Add salt & pepper to taste.
4.  Cover and cook on high and bring to a rapid boil.  Reduce heat to medium and cook about 2 - 2 1/2  hours or until beans are soft.  Keep pot covered.
5.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Remove ham bone and ham from pot.  Remove ham from bone (discarding of any fat) and chop into bite size pieces.  Add ham back to soup.
6.  Add garlic salt & season salt (salt according to your liking).  Add more pepper if you like.
7.  Remove about a cup of beans and mash well.  Add back to pot.  This will thicken the soup.  If you like a thicker consistency, mash another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of beans.
8.  Remove from heat and let stand about 15 minutes.
9.  Serve with biscuits or warm toast.

Side Notes:
1.  I did not have a bay leaf for my soup, but next time I make it, I will be using one.  Don't worry if you don't have one though... turns out great.
2.  I chopped my celery and carrots in my small chopper I have.  Carrot and celery pieces were very, very small.  Unless you like large pieces of carrot in your Navy Bean soup, I suggest using a chopper or food processor to chop up celery and carrots.
3.  I started my soup in the late afternoon and it was ready to serve by dinner time.  It was quick and easy to get started and then you can just walk away while it cooks.

I hope you give this soup a try and enjoy it as much as we all did.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment