Thursday, January 20, 2011

Classic Pot Pie

Tonight's dinner was delicious!  I made Classic Pot Pie from my Pillsbury magazine.  And surprisingly is was very easy to make and not all that time consuming.  I used some left over baked chicken I had (boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes) rather than buying a rotisserie chicken and shredding it (to save money).  I paired the pot pie with a garden salad.  They go great together. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on the box
1/3 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cubed or shredded chicken or turkey
1 Steam Fresh bag of mixed veggies (cook for about 4 minutes or so) - should be about 2 cups

Directions
1.  Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Make pie crusts as directed on  box for Two-Crust Pie, using 9-inch glass plate.  (Do not pre-bake your pie crusts).
2.  In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes or until tender.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.  Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.  Stir in chicken and mixed veggies.  Remove from heat.
3.  Spoon mixture into crust-lined pie plate.  Top with second crust; seal edge and flute.  Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
4.  Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  If necessary, cover edge of crust with strips of foil during last 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Side Notes:
1.  If you want a little extra flavor, try adding a few cloves of minced garlic and some Italian seasonings.  Otherwise leave as is for the classic flavor.
2.  If you are a great pastry chef, try making your own crust.  I have yet to master that skill, so for now I use the store bought kind (which turned out great and very tasty).
3.  I used low-sodium, fat free chicken broth and 1% milk and it still had all the flavor.
4.  I did put foil around the edges of the pot pie 15 minutes into the cooking process.  I'm not sure if it's me or if it's just an overly difficult task, but I had a heck of time getting that foil to stay around the edge of the crust.  If anyone has any tips on how to get it stay, please do tell! :-)

I have different variations of pot pie recipes in my Pillsbury magazine.  I've tried a few different recipes and this is by far my favorite.  I hope you give it a whirl.  It's quick, simple and delicious! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment